5.05.2009

Kustom Katin's

My brother and I headed over to Kanvas By Katin this past Sunday to order up some fresh trunks for summertime. Thanks to my increased consumption of beer and Mini Sirloin Burgers, none of my trunks from last year fit.

Not to worry, my skinny jeans still fit. They have a little stretch and give to them.

Anyways, Sato, the seamstress, was there stocking the racks. We tried on some pairs off the racks, got measured, picked out our fabrics, details, etc. and we were on our way.

Sato, has been there since the beginning, 1959 with Walter and Nancy Katin. Her son, Glenn now own the shop. I sincerely think that Sato is the hardest working person in the shop. If she isn't sewing, cutting, fitting, stocking the shelves, or taking out the trash, she is barking orders at Douche McGregor. Seriously.

While it is true that Katin does have some trunks made overseas, it is a pretty cool experience to go into a shop and have a custom pair made for you, right here in Southern California, by the same lady who made them 50 years ago.



























































































I snapped some photos of the wall of shame. I'll post those later.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

50 clams for custom trunks!
Take that RVCA!

KL said...

youre a 34 1/2?! fucking fatass.

Danimal said...

I'm actually a 34. I had here add that extra half inch for all the beers I will be drinking all summer.

Esteban Pumpernickel said...

Dude, don't worry.... I went from a 32 to a 34 at 21 years old. I'm 31 now and have drunk enough beer to kill a mid sized African village and I'm still a 34. I can still rip the shorter boards as well. 34 is where the ladies like to be, remember that forever and ever.

Greg Landers said...

It'll be a sad day when Osato isnt around to sew up some trunks...

ion dissonance said...

she started these today. I pulled the fabric