7.05.2010

Mr. Bruce Jones, by Leo Hetzel

One of the few perks of working at a surf shop for the better part of my life is that every once in awhile, I stumble upon something totally kick ass that nobody else wants anything to do with.

"Old Surfers Journals? Kolohe's not in those! Fuck that"

Case and point, HUGE stacks of back issue surfers journals. I love these things. Nothing beats a healthy colon evacuation while reading a surfers journal I haven't thumbed through a thousand times over. Probably the highlight of my morning/night dump. This issue I came across from winter of 2000 (volume 9, #5) has a bitchin photo of the legendary Bruce Jones.

Bruce made me some boards when I was in high school and they always worked reallly well. One of the most stoked days of my surf youth was when he let me straight trade a pretty beat up performance tri-fin he made me that I mostly used for school contests and what not, for a brand new 9'6 noserider. I was frothin to say the least.

Cheer's to Bruce and this epic shot taken by the one and only Leo Hetzel. Knee paddling out solo towards and A frame. Does it get any better?







2 comments:

brockyJ said...

when was this issue??

ion dissonance said...

volume 9, number 5, winter 2000

back when they only published in february, april, june, and november, rather than bi-monthly.

Get any Euro surf yet brocky?