12.28.2009

Here's a nice piece of shit! (matuse review)



Gotta love a broken zipper a few months shy of almost having this suit 1 whole season. Even better on a morning with waves at 6:45 AM. I heard so much hype about these suits before owning one. "ohhh best suit ever" , "So warm, warmest suit I've ever had" etc.
Have you ever read the book "The Emperors New Clothes"?
I can't back the bullshit. Here's my honest opinion of the 3/2/2 Matuse suit -

I put this suit on for the first time last February 2009 and surfed the Venice breakwall at 2:30 in the afternoon. I was cold within an hour. By June the suit was more or less completely leaking and had torn itself two holes in the chest panels where the smoothie met. Awesome. Alternating between this suit and an Aleeda for another few months (didn't wear it in summer, duh) the suit took it's final blow this morning, December 28 2009, with a busted zipper while suiting up in the parking lot. Feb-June, not wearing everyday because of alternating fullsuits = holes and leakage. Oct-December = Dusted ass suit. Fuck.

Now keep in mind I'm not a fucking retard and know how to put on a suit. I've worked in a surf shop for wayyyyy tooo long and instruct donkey's on the finer points of slipping on rubber daily. For the record, 80% of the time I changed into that Matuse suit I used a plastic bag because it was so damn hard to get into. Even bone dry it was a pain in the ass. The ankles were tighter than junior prom night. I babied the suit, meaning I wasn't a lazy fuck and washed the thing out every time, hung it in the garage out of the sunlight, and even used a super gay changing mat in the parking lot.

So there Ya go, a non bias review of a Matuse suit. Fuck the hype, these suits are mediocre at best. A good afternoon suit, as it's not that warm, but it is awfully flexible and comfortable. Final thoughts - next time you hear some siked yuppie talk up his matuse because he likes talking about how innovative and amazing it is (read, overly expensive and overly hyped) tell him to eat a dick and try a psycho 1.







19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your review, it's dead on!!!

I see so many "johnny come lately surf authorities" on boards, suits, etc.. and they rave about these suits. I agree they are all hype. You can never go wrong with the tried and true O'Neil, Body Glove or Rip Curl. Don't forget Aleeda's and Xcel's too.

Besides, who wants to wear a wetsuit name inspired by a bodyboarder anyway.

michael pee said...

Thank you so much for stepping up and giving your opinion. There are way too many people who are afraid of being the first to say something bad about anything!

Anonymous said...

I got this suit as a early xmas present and ur totally right, the ankles are tight as fuck and I hate those straps that go over your shoulders but it is pretty flexible and hasnt blown out on me yet.

Anonymous said...

I got one as an early xmas present and I couldn't agree with you more

Worm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dude.economy said...

I was just thinking yesterday that I still have my Fusion that I bought from Danny when he worked at Katin, I can't even remember how long ago that was.

Anonymous said...

and psycho 1's aren't expensive?

You can get the same quality of a suit from a lesser-known brand for probably about 100 bucks off.

But hey, if needing that O'Neill logo is cool to you....

Morgan said...

the 2007 matuses were amazing. 2008/2009 matuses... suck balls.

Danimal said...

Please provide the name of said "same quality of a suit from a lesser-known brand."

Besides, Peacefrog Sharpies out whatever logo there is on his suit regardless of the brand. derp.

ion dissonance said...

yeah nice try ya fuckin derp. last time i checked a psycho 1 was $ 309.99 not $440 like the matuse.

And I can honestly say that the 2010 psycho 1 trumps the matuse in warmth and comfort.

I'd rather wear a matuse. good dudes running it, but for the money and longevity factors I'd buy an O'niell. Recession baby, your gotta go for what's going to get you the most in the long run. Not style points.

We'll see how the warranty goes with matuse. ill keep you posted.

Danimal said...

Best suit I ever had was the 3mil O'Neill Psycho minimal seam.

Sea Walk said...

This is the best blog post I've ever read. Im still cracking up...

Anonymous said...

I just picked up a new Lanty from La Jolla Surf Systems, it's super bitchen and blows loads on all of the new, postmodern, cool guy, eco friendly, surf pajamas that are out there.

Besides, I have long hair and it gets caught in the "o"ring of all of those new "leisure suits".

BTW:Chicks dig my long hair when I bust my frontside airs!!!

Anonymous said...

i didn't mean to step on any toes..i was just sayin :(

Anonymous said...

Don't you have a patagonia suit also? How do you like that??

Anonymous said...

Whatever, style-fags. For day in and day out abuse and overall value, nothing beats an O'Neill. Always have. Ask anyone who makes a living in the water. Fvck that eco-friendly, buttery, Jap shit.

ion dissonance said...

i had a patagonia suit for 4-5 months and that thing got a gnarly tear in it as well. That suit was really warm, but not so flexible and heavy as fuck. Full refund though so it was a nice way to test em out.

Anonymous said...

I bought a psycho 2 last feb on sale (like $320)...Wore rest of winter and this fall until end of december...knee holes automatically by end of winter...my fault...but I had the same hole at seam above my crotch...key pouch had a huge hole...but I left it out in the sun tons and wasn't too nice to it...surfing in dredged oceanside water probably wasn't good for it either.

Anonymous said...

we weren't aware that lanty was still making wetsuits. heard that japanese company bit the dust. haven't seen one in the water in years. la jolla surf systems is an o'neill distributor. kook.