11.18.2010

Air Jordy

I surfed with Jordy Smith this morning out at 56th in Newport. It was not very good and it was foggy. I was having fun on my little egg in the uncrowded peelers when he paddled around the jetty. I said to myself, "Oh shit, that is Jordy Smith." I immediately lost any notion that I might be "ripping." The dude is huge. I know he is quite a bit younger than me and I felt like a little grom next to him. Anyways, we exchanged a few words about the crappy conditions and that was that. Was he nice? Sure. He did two big airs right in my face on waves that were less than marginal. Then of course, some guy with a beer gut and a fun board paddles up and starts peeing all over the place like an excited puppy. Jordy looked annoyed and flattered at the same time. I know he is a celebrity of sorts, but actually surfing right next to the guy really put things into perspective. He is just a dude who happens to surf way better than you and I. I guess that old dude is the reason Jordy can be so successful with surfing, but come on. Chill out. I just don't get star-struck anymore. Especially not with pro surfers. This clip is of him doing a rad rodeo flip. I hate Red Bull and Kolohe Andino is a dork, but other than that, Jordy rips.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jordy seems like the most low key and down to earth guy on the CT other than Dane....

Anonymous said...

saw him at la cave getting fucked up. A-ok dude in my book. . . even if he was wearing red pants.

Laura Solis said...

I was so impressed with this article that I just had to say thank you. Your writing style is engaging and informative, and your attention to detail is evident throughout. Thank you for sharing your expertise with us.
Awakesurfcollective