3.12.2009

Beast Must Feast

I just saw a video of this of this story on the news...I guess it happened last year but the photos/video are just coming out now...

"These amazing pictures show an epic, two-hour battle between spear fisherman Craig Clasen and a 12-foot tiger shark in the Gulf of Mexico. The life-and-death struggle took place off New Orleans when Clasen, filmmaker Ryan McInnis and two friends were hunting tuna.

Suddenly McInnis found himself cut off and the shark began circling.

"I positioned myself between Ryan and the shark and I tried to watch it for a second, hoping it would pass," said Clasen, 32, who was wearing a snorkel. "The shark made a roll and looked like it was going to charge us.

"Down in my core I really felt the shark was there to feed. I didn't want it to come to that."

During the underwater struggle, Clasen speared the shark seven times and even attempted to drown it before finishing it off with a long-blade knife. It wasn't clear how often Clasen had to resurface to breathe. "Once I shot it in the gills I felt a moral obligation to finish the job," he said. "In the end we put a knife in its skull."

Clasen took no pleasure in his victory last June. "This was one of the most remorseful moments I have ever had in all of my years in hunting and fishing," he said."

more pics can be found here:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03122009/news/nationalnews/moment_of_tooth_159201.htm

5 comments:

christian said...

That guy must have studied that shark essay written by the third grader.

snoogins said...

haha i know...after seeing the video again it does seem kinda fucked up to have killed it like that...the shark didn't look very threatening at all but then again it's a huge tiger shark and you never know whats gonna happen because a sharks idea of curiosity is taking a bite out of you...the divers are going to be on cnn tomorrow morning i'd like to see what they have to say

Morgan said...

i had to do that out at the channel islands, but with a 18ft pregnant great white. no one ever wrote a story about me.

Almond Surfboards & Designs said...

wait, morgan... seriously??

snoogins said...

holy shit! more details please...