4.21.2009

Call me ignorant....

This is the first I have ever heard of the seminal surf punk band "Surf Punks." A friend at work brought in their 1980, sophomore album, My Beach, and my mind was blown. With songs such as My Wave, Shoulder Hopper, Can't Get a Tan, and Somebody Ripped my Stick, What's not to love???



















Here is a hearfelt review from Amazon.

"THIS RECORDING ENCOMPASSES ALL THAT IS INVOLVED WITH FREEDOM AND THE TRUE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. FOR IT IS IN THAT FROZEN MOMENT OF TIME IN A PLACE THE SURFER REFERS TO AS THE GREEN ROOM THAT THIS ALBUM FINDS ITS INSPIRATION AND PASSION. ONLY A SURFER KNOWS THE FEELING.... AN ESSENTIAL PRODUCTION FOR THE CORE SURF BUM. TOMMY TORTURE"

It was typed in all caps, so one can assume that this guy is fucking amping on this album. Gettin' all up in the green room and shit.

The album was re-released on CD in 1989. I was 4 and my brother was 1. Needless to say, it wasn't in our collection.

It also looks like the Warriors of Radness or Gonz or whatever the fuck they call themselves conducted an interview a while back with Drew Steele. Take a gander.

1 comment:

Kilwag said...

The Surf Punks were the best. I don't think My Beach is really the sophomore effort, the first release was on a different label (their own?) and was the same as My Beach (On Columbia?) minus a couple tracks.

They have another album (late , late 80's) Called "Oh No, Not Them Again" that is OK-ish, definitely has some good moments, but not as brilliant as the first two. After that they had a CD release called "part Bomb" that was semi-live or psuedo live versions of the the back catalog plus some covers. For hard core Surf Punks fans only.

Dennis Dragon is the Captain (Cpt & Tenille) brother, and did a bunch of soundtrack work for th early Powell Peralta Bones Brigade videos. The Surf Punks also appear in that Annette and Frankie movie from the 80's called "Back to the Beach" (I think) Pee Wee Herman is also in it.

I could go on and on about them, there are a bunch of videos on Youtube, look em up.