6.29.2008

Beer Advocate

During the last year or so I have been drinking a lot of beer. A lot of good, imported, and usually expensive beer ($11.99 for a 750 ml. Chimay Grande Reserve "Bleu"). I go to BevMo once a week and stock up on a few different beers for the week. For example, I will get 4 different Pale Ales and see which one I like best.

Anyways, I just subscribed to Beer Advocate Magazine.


















I also picked up some books on the subject...



































So, hopefully I will be able to start my own homebrew this summer. I was looking into taking a class at Culver City Home Brewing Supply Co. I just need to save up a little cheese and read through there books so I have my fundamentals down.

I was never able to get into wine. It just feels so inaccessible. Whatever. Everyone is into wine these days. Just like everyone is an artist, photographer, musician, graphic designer, hipster, rad dude. I have always felt that a lot of people come off a little bit snobby about it. I think there is much more camaraderie in a nice pint.

5 comments:

Jamie Welsh Watson said...

Here, here! One of our buddies recently & illegally mailed us some of his home brew from New Jersey. It's delicious and much more fun and special than a bottle of wine. Stand out from the crowd Danimal, make us proud.

Anonymous said...

wine is for bitches

David J. Hirsh said...

Crissakes, boys! Why limit yourselves? I must have missed the memo that said "wine is for bitches." I only got the one that said "surf, eat, drink, and be merry."

If you find one or two things that you like drinking, then drill down and get to know them better. Try as many as you can and read up a little. Wine, beer, whiskey, tequila. Makes no difference. There's good and bad in each of them and the attitudes or opinions of the self-appointed experts really don't matter if you know what you like!

David, Seattle

Danimal said...

Point taken David. I agree with your comment about the 'self appointed experts.'

Cheers.

Worm said...

i started brewing a few years ago and love it (i make a really good pale ale, wheat and raspberry wheat). it's really easy and not as expensive as you'd think. It starts to get really fun when you find a recipe and then start changing one thing in it. it'll give you a better understanding of why beers taste the way they do.


There is also a beer/wine store on carson and viking way (that little street right next to lakewood). Go in there and check it out.