10.31.2009

Bolsa Chicos


















Photo: Bruce Jones
From left to right: Brock Jones, Greg Irvin, John Husac, Dodger Kremel, Matt Steuck, and Cody Faircloth

Back in the late 90's/early 00's, the Bruce Jones surf team was at the forefront of the traditional longboard movement. I would see them at Bolsa and Seal pier, perched on the nose.

This was before it became hip to spend $1,200 on a board (that was not a Takayama, Cooperfish, or Tyler). You couldn't find Japanese wetsuits anywhere...but Japan. Seeing all black smoothie rubber was reserved for Jimmy Gamboa in RASH suits and Tudor in Amsterdams.

The Bruce Jones team had developed the Team Noserider. It was a clear, volan, pintail, triple stringer, single fin. So sick. Tudor had the Flow Model. Takayama had the Model T.

These guys killed it. They saved their style for the water, where it counts. I'm not sure how old this photo is...maybe circa Seedling?










Not sure what happened to all of these guys. Dodger will be home from Hawaii soon. I see Brock at Bolsa all the time, and I keep in touch with Cyrus. John Husak is a bartender at Joe Jost's. I see Cody's younger brother at Bolsa sometimes, Matt too.

I guess the point is, these guys were ahead of their time. Before boutique surf shops, art shows, and the hipster surfer took over and began the cool guy retro surf movement. They were legit...and could actually surf.

5 comments:

TJ said...

the bruce jones dudes had the biggest influence on us. I miss those days.

Turd F. said...

Man, I had their pictures in my binder in high school next to a cut out from a titty mag...

scotty stopnik said...

X2 TJ !
when i was growing up greg was dating my older sister and would take me surfing at the age of 12.
Every day he would pick me up and take me to Bolsa or seal and meet up with the rest of those guys.
If it was not for those guys I wouldn't be surfing at all.
Greg Irvin was one of my favorite surfers and had a huge influence on alot.
All of this hipster crap and people who think there recreating the longboard scene. Suck it!
These guys where doing it way back then and not being total faggets about surfing.


Long live the bruce jones crew!

ion dissonance said...

Agreed with everything said above.

Especially this part Scotty, "All of this hipster crap and people who think there recreating the longboard scene. Suck it!
These guys where doing it way back then and not being total faggets about surfing."

Word.

Ervin on his slip check spectrum color noserider was in my opinion on par with Tudor.

The videos back then sucked, so I'm very grateful we had the chance to be exposed to these guys first hand at Bolsa and Seal.

I really hope something happens with that Jody lemmon flick about the team.

Anonymous said...

cody ripped the hardest then and still rips the hardest now even when hes piss drunk..